- There are about 74.8 million "owned" dogs in the U.S.
- 39% of households in the U.S. own at least one dog
- 63% of owners have only one dog, 25% own two, and 12% own three or more.
- 10% of dogs living in homes are adopted from animal shelters
- 75% of owned dogs have been spayed or neutered.
As I was browsing around the usual suspects dog internet sites and blogs, i came across some common dog owner statistics on the APDT site. APDT stands for the Association of Pet Dog Trainers. This is a WON-derful research tool for owners and trainers alike; owners can find dog trainers in their area, and trainers can network, find out about events, and be up to date on training methods. Anyway, here are some statistics on dog owners that are interesting to share: